USDC (USD Coin) is a stablecoin pegged to the value of the US Dollar. This means that for every USDC issued, there is a corresponding US Dollar held in reserve, making it a popular option for those looking to make faster and cheaper payments without worrying about the volatility of cryptocurrencies.
The Pros and Cons
1. Stable Value: USDC is pegged to the value of the US Dollar, which means that its value remains relatively stable and does not fluctuate as much as other cryptocurrencies.
2. Faster and Cheaper Transfers: Sending and receiving USDC is typically faster and cheaper compared to traditional wire transfers. This makes it a great option for those looking to transfer funds quickly and at a lower cost.
3. Wide Acceptance: USDC is widely accepted and can be used to pay for goods and services, making it a versatile and convenient payment option.
4. Secure: USDC is based on blockchain technology, which makes it secure and resistant to fraud and theft.
1. Limited Availability: USDC may not be available in certain countries or regions, which can limit its use and accessibility.
2. Volatility Risk: While USDC is pegged to the US Dollar, there is still a risk of volatility, particularly in times of economic uncertainty.
3. Regulatory Risks: Cryptocurrencies, including USDC, are still largely unregulated, which means that there are risks associated with using them.
4. Technical Skills: To use USDC, you need a basic understanding of cryptocurrencies and how they work. This may be a barrier for some people who are not familiar with technology.
Step by Step Guide to Get Paid in USDC
1. Get a USDC Wallet & Address: The first step to receive USDC is to choose a wallet that supports this particular stablecoin. Luckily, USDC is available across various blockchains such as Ethereum, Polygon and Solana. Examples of wallets include Phantom, or Metamask. You can visit their websites and go through the steps to create your own wallet and address.
2. Share Your USDC Address: To receive USDC, you need to share your USDC address with the person or entity sending you the funds. They will then use this address to send the USDC to your wallet.
3. Receive USDC: Once the sender has initiated the transfer, you will receive the USDC in your wallet within a matter of minutes.
4. Exchange USDC for another currency: If you need to convert your USDC to another currency, you can do so on a cryptocurrency exchange like Binance or Coinbase. Simply transfer your USDC from your wallet to the exchange and exchange it for the currency of your choice.
Step by Step Guide to Get Paid in USDC using Parallax
First, what is Parallax? With Parallax, you can get paid cheaper and faster by your U.S. based employers, wherever you are in the world.
Parallax issues you a U.S.-based account, which your employers can send USD to. From there, you can convert your USD into stablecoins like USDC and transfer to your wallets of choice or use locally.
Here’s how it works:
1. Sign up for Parallax: To get started, create an account on the Parallax website (app.withparallax.com).
2. Use your U.S. bank account: Connect your Parallax-issued U.S.-based bank account to your employer’s payroll platform (Deel, Gusto, Rippling, Multiplier), talent marketplace (Upwork, Fiverr, Turing, Andela) or send an invoice to your employer.
3. Receive USD: Once the transfer is initiated, you'll receive USD in your wallet within minutes.
4. Convert into stablecoin: Convert your USD to USDC automatically or manually on Parallax.
USDC is a great option for those looking to make fast, secure, and low-cost transfers. It’s especially great for cross-border payments and salaries.